Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reminiscing About Yester-year

I don't know why, but I was sitting here on the computer and felt
something I haven't felt in a long, long time. (No not that...I'm still
waiting for that.) I'm talking about the love of hacking and programming.

It seems like so long ago when we use to have only text screens and
command lines to accomplish all we wanted. We got excited when our name
scrolled around the screen like a ball bouncing off the borders. The
thrill of writing code to make a complex piece of machinery do what you
command! Ahhh...

What I don't understand is why it came back to me for only a moment. I
still code, I still use the command line more than anything, so why did
that feeling ever leave? Sure I grew up and got responsibilities but I
still love the thrill of the hack, the excitement you feel just before
you execute your code, and immense frustration just before you solve the
algorithm complexities of sorting methods.

{sigh} Why isn't that feeling still here? I long for it and wish I
could hold on to it as it gives me inspiration and drive me to do better
at my job. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment