Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Firesheep vs. Blacksheep

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Firefox addon Firesheep which can
hijack a persons Facebook (and others) logins with a click of the mouse
on open WiFi networks. Well, now there is an additional addon which
will warn you when someone on that open WiFi is *using* Firesheep. That
plugin is called Blacksheep.

Personally I think the illumination Firesheep was intended to bring is
great. I also think a warning mechanism is also good for those not in
control of the open Wifi but need to use it. However, it does make me
wonder at what point does our web browser turn from web browser to
internet security warrior.

Think about it. We have addons meant to control javascript, sniffing,
cookies, SSL, etc. Think about Firesheep, BlackSheep, NoScript,
AdBlocker, HTTPS-Everywhere, SSL-Blacklist, BetterPrivacy, FlashBlock,
Long URL, and many others. What about all the additional "helpful"
addons people use for Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, bookmarks, proxy
switching, user agent IDs, RSS Feeds, etc, etc, etc.

I love Firefox but I do wonder when my web browser begins to morph into
a programming framework more than an internet web site rendering
machine. Hmmmm....I wonder if Google has already reached this point and
thus...{wait for it}...ChromeOS.

Just my $.10.

--C64Whiz

No comments:

Post a Comment